Monday, June 9, 2008

I took the Challenge...

...will you?

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. Recently, I have be pondering the condition of my health. Getting back to the gym is a must. This afternoon, I decided to look up some info about getting into shape. It seems there's plenty of plans out there for folks looking to lose weight, which is wonderful for them! I found it more difficult to find workout strategies for someone like me, who's looking to actually gain weight - with the exception of those workouts meant for Bodybuilders. However, freakishly large arms isn't my goal. So what are my goals?

These are the areas I would like to improve:
  • Strength.
  • Endurance.
  • Energy.
  • Posture.
  • Attitude.
  • Mental alertness.
As I Googled away, I remembered a book I read when I worked at a smoothie bar. Body-for-LIFE by Bill Phillips was a great read. It was simple, made sense, and inspired. The book outlines a program that will fit anyone's goals. Whether losing weight, building muscle, or getting toned, it works for everyone. At the time, I didn't act on what I read because I didn't feel I needed to. I was also exposed to great information from the many health conscious patrons that I served. I asked questions of the ones who frequented the store and obviously were on a workout program. One of the customers had even scored well in a bodybuilding competition.

Naturally, I looked up the corresponding website and found information on the annual Challenge they offer people to participate in. The Challenge is a 12-week workout regimen that includes strength training, cardio training, and nutrition training. So I took it. I downloaded the information packet and record keeping forms, snapped a couple 'before' photos, and now I'm challenging YOU. I'm gonna need a LOT of hassling from my loving friends in order to make it through. I will need the most help with eating right and getting myself to the gym. I'm asking you, not to join me (though I'd love it if you did!), but to encourage me and push me. Call me and ask me how I'm doing, send me uplifting text messages or emails, send me goofy photos of bodybuilders with my head pasted on! Share healthy recipes that even I could make. Anything that you think will help motivate me. So there it is. Will you take my challenge?

Those of you who know me best, know that I'm a dreamer and can be totally psyched about something one day and then two days later I couldn't care less about it. Please help me stick to this! I actually don't WANT to post this entry because I know I will then be accountable. How many times have I stated my action plan for something and then failed to follow through? Way more than I'd like to admit.

As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do.
~Zachary Scott

4 comments:

  1. i believe in you! was gonna send you a pic of my weight set, but my phone was dumb. hope you are having a good day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think you should try to be a body builder... especially the freakishly large arms :)

    Actually, I am very proud of you. I understand how hard it is to TELL people this because then you can't "quit" and have no one know. I will definitely encourage you. Probably no goofy photos (because you would have to show me how to do that... and that would defeat the purpose). But maybe a singing telegram... hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in you! Looking forward to kickin butt with you! Now I just have to figure out how to put your face on a buff body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another helpful idea: Find me some great workout music!

    ReplyDelete