Sunday, January 10, 2010

This is NOT a movie review of Leap Year.


This weekend I went and saw Leap Year with my mom. Very cute flick. Chick flick, of course. It was 'clean' except for a scene when Matthew Goode walks in on Amy Adams in her underwear- she half-heartedly grabs something to cover herself. But I digress!

What has the media done to our view of relationships? These two characters get to know each other through the classic "Pride & Prejudice" method. Man & woman meet. They despise each other. Through a series of events they are forced to spend time getting to know each other. From there it's just a hop, skip, and a kiss to falling in love. And all the ladies squeal, "Awwwwwww."

Can someone please tell me, has this ever happened in real life? Have you ever found yourself completely enamored by someone that completely rubbed you the wrong way when you first met? I have never met a couple with this story. This irritates me. Why do we find this situation so appealing as movie-goers? How do the storytellers make us cheer for these people to figure out that they don't hate each other, really they love each other? Is THIS how we want to fall in love?

I know my readership has dwindled, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. I really think Hollywood portrays an incorrect version of true love. I can't quite put my finger on it though. Mainly, because I'm not even sure myself what True Love (in a man loves a woman kinda way) looks like. Seriously, if you're supposed to fall for the person you most love to hate, then we'd all be married to dentists or telemarketers right? Can I get a what, what?

5 comments:

  1. speaking as a dentist I resent having to be the token "hated person" ha!

    speaking as a male - I don't know why anyone watches chick flicks, period. Perhaps you should ponder that in your next blog post...


    ;-)

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I can say from experience that it's entirely possible to end up 'liking' someone (or more than 'like') who you despised in the beginning. I've actually had that with several guys. The longer it takes me to warm up to someone, the more feelings I have for them. Weird, but it seems to be my MO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. appreciate you leaving lawyers off that list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha - I hear you, Katy, and agree that this particular scenario seems a little far fetched for me personally. HOWEVER, my sister's "fairy-tale" romance did have this element; I went to visit her in 2004, and met a great guy from her church who owned his own business, was cute and fun, very committed to Christ, etc. etc. Upon learning that my baby sister had known this man for quite some time, I jokingly remarked "You should marry Todd! He's perfect for you!" With a withering glare, she turned to me and in perfect seriousness said "That man is SO messed up. I wouldn't marry him if he were the last man on earth." Stunned by this display, I had to ponder Shakespeare and his famous "Methinks she doth protest too much" - but I wisely bit my tongue. Two years later, he asked her to marry him on their SECOND date, and she said YES. I was maid of honor at their wedding and they are currently expecting their third child. So, I guess sometimes it really DOES work that way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So the answer is . . . this keeps working for Hollywood, because it keeps working for people.

    Really, this is just a version of the old "little boys only know how to show girls they like them by hitting them" scenario.

    And most writers are emotionally nine years old.

    ReplyDelete