Tuesday, July 8, 2008

a random study

Seeking to hear from God is like trying to decipher a combination lock. As if the right combo of worship, bible reading, purity, and joy will open the door to the King's throne. Or perhaps it's a mixture of a completely different set of Christian virtues. There's an impossible amount of possibilities to this lock. I remind God that I am nothing and he is the Brilliant One. He may have the know how to figure it out, but I certainly don't. Though I try. If only I could figure it out, then I'd be set. I wonder if God enjoys watching us lose sleep over such longings. My heart aches for his voice, for his direction and guidance. Why does he not email me directions? Even Google does that! Why does the Lord seem so unaccessible? Decoding that lock is a daunting task. My biggest fear is that I may find the combination, release the lock, and open the door only to find another lock.

So I turn elsewhere. There are truths at my finger tips that are not under lock and key. I will search the scriptures. I will scour the love letter of the Beautiful One. I will stand on these truths and continue to carry Hope in my God.

I begin here: Psalm 48:14 "This God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even unto death." While it's not exactly known after which victory this song was penned, we are certain that there was a victory. The writer praises Jerusalem, the City of God, and in so doing he praises the God of Jerusalem. Enemies fear it, friends delight in it, God takes care of it, he provides safety for it; it is praised for what God has done, does, and will do for it. The Psalmist sees the glory of the Creator in the creation and so ends by declaring loyalty to God. He is not saying that God will lead him, but that he will follow this great and wonderful King.

I'm sure glad I chose to read and study this whole Psalm. What a difference it makes! It's not about getting emails from God that tell me what to do. It's about recognizing that following God leads to success in life, and I must seek him where he's at in order to follow. I must not wait for him to come to me and my dreams. A challenging victory indeed!

I had planned to just list off some verses that mention leading and guidance and let them simmer for a while. This study turned out better than I had expected.

Psalm 32:8 "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye."

No comments:

Post a Comment