Saturday, July 23, 2011

Twelve year old me

This post is inspired by Matt over at The Church of No People.  I didn't really follow his format, but hey, he wrote his post 6 months ago so I figure the rules are unimportant at this point.

Twelve year old me:

When I was 12, I wanted to be the first woman to play Major League Baseball (for the Pittsburgh Pirates).  Instead, I told people I wanted to be a teacher because that was much more practical.

I enjoyed being a tomboy.  Trees were meant to be climbed and feet were meant to be bare. 

The coolest people I knew were my family members.  My favorite memories always include them. 

My best friend taught me the value of integrity when he stood up to a 'grown-up' to defend my character. 

I was in love with JTT.  Posters everywhere. 

My house was the place to be!!  We were Fun City thanks to my mom's hospitality and ability to make people feel welcome. 

I started writing my auto-biography. Seriously.  My life was pretty exciting at the time and you never know when celebrity status will hit you. 

I took part in a 24 hour marathon.  My first taste of independence.  I proudly wore that sweatshirt for years!

I wrote my first love note. His name was Kyle and boy was he dreamy!  

I made my first radio call-in music request. Tammy and I were having a slumber party and HAD to hear Footloose to really get the party started. The station aired our call. (Perhaps being on the radio prompted my rush to get down my biography.) 

At the typewriter.

As you know, I didn't make it to the big leagues (not as a player anyway).  I didn't make it back to the classroom as a teacher either.  I'm at the end of my 20s and I still haven't locked down a career for myself. Probably never will.

I still enjoy being a tomboy.  On my recent vacation, I showed my 6 year old nephew that I, too, can hang upside from a tree with the best of them - barefooted.

My family has only become even more cool over the years.  My older brothers' have multiplied the cool-ness factor by expansion of the family name.  My dad road a bicycle across the entire country at age 59.  My mom was always a clown but took it to the next level by becoming a professional, and my baby brother keeps us all a little 'gangsta'.

I cherish my best friends.  They keep me going when I want to quit and someday I want to return the favor.

JTT.  That lasted way too long!  These days I'm in love with Rob Petrie.  Much more sophisticated.

I don't really have a place of my own yet, but when I do you can bet it'll be Fun City the sequel!

I'm not sure what happened to my autobiography and I'd sure pay a lot of money to be able to read it right now. I'm sure it was to die for!

No plans to run anymore marathons. I did jog around the neighborhood yesterday. No one gives you a trophy sweatshirt for that though.

I've since given up on Kyle responding to my love note.  Probably a good thing since he and his wife recently had their first child.  (Thanks for keeping me grounded Facebook.)

Last time I reached the DJ at a radio station I won concert tickets and got to sing on air.  Guess I have a knack for radio stardom.

What would I tell my 12 year old me?  "RELAX!  Quit thinking about yourself and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.   You really don't know as much as you think you do, and neither does anyone else.  Make friends with a Sanguine and learn from their carefree ways instead of being so critical."  Hm.  Guess that's a word for me at any age!

No comments:

Post a Comment