Thursday, January 8, 2009

In my right mind.


In my drawing class today, I discovered that I can, in fact, draw. I think I'm going to like this class, but only because I've decided to like this class. Usually the thought of drawing makes me stress out. I am a self-proclaimed perfectionist. Art isn't perfection. This class will the be place I will allow myself to be imperfect. Take this drawing to the right. I drew that- upside down while looking at the original sketch upside down. I was sitting right-side up, just to clarify. My homework is to draw for at least an hour. Seems simple enough, but I know it will be a fight every time. Just like New Year's Eve when I learned to not let my fear of inadequacy rule. That's what it is, right? Perfectionism. The fear of not being good enough.

God is an amazing God. It is my imperfection that keeps me humble. If I was perfect, I would be God, and I really don't want that job. I'm excited to see what great things I will learn this quarter.

According to the syllabus, about 95% of my homework is supposed to be 'live' subjects, so don't dash my hopes if I ask you to volunteer to sit still for an hour while I turn you into a drawing. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I think Cheramie will be providing you with an excellent "live subject" in the next few days/ weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the upside down drawing assignment! How fun. It looks really good. I hope the class gets to the point for you that it stops being a struggle to continue. I always found it took me a long time to warm up to an activity before I started to fully enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete