Monday, April 14, 2008

A lesson in contentment.

"You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve," said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth. Be content."

-Aslan, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian


What a great lesson in contentment. I just finished reading the second book in the Narnia series. I have read them before, but I'm re-reading them to find new truths that eluded me as a child. This quote stood out to me as I finished the book this evening. It's a strange thing to be both proud of your heritage and ashamed at the same time. To be so glad of who you are, and yet so remorseful of what you've done. That is the only way those two things can work in a person at the same time.

On the one hand, is a description of Who I am. On the other, What I've done. I am daughter of the King. That makes me a Princess. What a noble and honored position. It is wonderful! And what's more, I have been adopted into the King's family and loved completely by the King just because I AM.

And yet, how shamefully I have behaved as such a daughter. Mistake after mistake. Sin after sin. Ashamed of the ungratefulness I have shown. Of the self-righteousness that had at once created an ugly monster instead of a lovely Princess. I have done nothing worthy of being a daughter of the King, and yet I AM.

God is so unfathomable. I have not the words to express the glorious goodness of my King. His outstretched arms beckon for me to come, sit on his lap and love on him, cry on him, and enjoy him. He desires to give me all he has. He has given me all he has! And he has everything!

How can I not be content with that?

Lord, Lord! I desire to be content just where I am! Give me a swift kick in rear when I am not!

1 comment: